Monday, February 20, 2006
What is ecto?
ecto is a feature-rich desktop blogging client for MacOSX and Windows, supporting a wide range of weblog systems, such as Blogger, Blojsom, Drupal, MovableType, Nucleus, TypePad, WordPress, and more. ecto is the successor of the wildly popular Kung-Log, which has been in use by thousands of Mac users and which earned a 4.5 mice rating in the MacWorld July 2003 issue as well as high ratings at VersionTracker.com and MacUpdate.com.
With ecto you can write and manage entries for your weblog(s). The advantage over using your weblog's control panel is that you can compose entries offline and use the extra features ecto offers, such as spellcheck, creating links, attachments, and much more. ecto is designed to make blogging much more easier and yet give the users as much power as possible to manage their weblogs.
Features of the MacOSX version
- support for multiple weblogs and servers (with easy-to-use Account Manager)
- full local control of recently posted entries and drafts (with search function)
- intuitive interface for creating and editing weblog entries
- a Rich Text and an HTML editor with spellcheck and search/replace
- syntax-coloring in the HTML editor
- quick access menu with HTML tag templates and keyboard shortcuts for the HTML editor (fully customizable)
- support of all available remote control options of MovableType API (posting entries with continuation, summary, keywords, multiple categories, trackback, text-formatting, comment options)
- advanced create-a-link dialog
- easily change the posting date of entries
- full-featured HTML-rendered preview of entries using Safari's WebKit
powerful file and media upload with iPhoto import via attachments
convert, scale images and create thumbnails
- create poster movies or create thumbnails from movie frames
- save settings on a per-blog basis
- send notifications by email (with Address Book support)
- insert details of the currently playing iTunes song in your entry
- embedded debug console to troubleshoot server connections
- extensive help documentation accessible from within ecto
- hate the metal and icons? Set the window texture via the Preferences window and change icons with the supplied switcher!
- works with NetNewsWire, PulpFiction, and Shrook
- localized in Dutch, French, German, and Japanese
- support for del.icio.us, the social bookmarks manager
- Services menu items to blog selected text (with extra features for Safari)
and much much more!
Features for Windows version
- Support for multiple weblogs and servers
- Support for Blogger's Atom API
- Support for MovableType, TypePad, cocolog, WordPress, Nucleus, Drupal through metaWeblog API and MovableType API
- Support of all available remote control options of MovableType and TypePad (posting entries with continuation, summary, keywords, multiple categories, trackback, text-formatting, comment options)
- Intuitive interface for creating and editing weblog entries
- Quick access toolbar menu with HTML tag templates (fully modifiable)
- Easily change the posting date of entries
- HTML-rendered preview of entries
- File and image upload tool (supports thumbnailing images)
- Save settings on a per-blog basis
- Send notifications by email
- Spell checker to make sure no spelling mistake get published
- Post template for saving frequently used post text and formats
- Insert details of the currently playing songs in WinAmp/WMP9/iTunes (via free plugins) in your entry
- Japanese and French localizations
- 'Blog This!' support in FeedDemon 1.10
- And much more!