Thursday, February 16, 2006
I think this a good information especially for beginners. Full with information and tools. Even the writer also describe about source of traffic, keywords and branding, the length of name and etc.
Factors to Consider when Choosing a Domain Name
Just as there are many factors to consider in choosing the name of a person there are many implications of choosing names for a website. What follows is a list of factors to keep in mind as you make the decision. Keep in mind that there are many theories about what is right and wrong in this area and that despite all the rules that people have there are some very successful sites that ignore them all! Also worth remembering is that personal taste comes into decisions like this - what’s a good name will mean different things to different people. With those disclaimers in mind - let’s take a look at a few areas to consider:
Goals and Objectives - I constantly come back to this point in most of my tips posts on a variety of aspects of blogging - but it’s so important to be thinking of the long term vision that you have for a blog when you’re making decisions like those about domain names.
- What is the topic of the blog? - an obvious starting point - most blog names reflect their topic
- What do you hope to achieve with your blog? - is it about having a hobby, is it about building your profile/expertise, is it about earning an income via ads, is it to support an existing business
- What style will it be? - is it a blog with one or many authors? What length of posts will it have?
- What tone and voice will it be written in? - Will it be conversational, newsy, rant-ish, humorous?
- Who is the intended audience? - Are you wanting to appeal to professionals, young people, cool people, geeks?